Hitting up the apple orchard one last time this weekend? Grab an extra bag of Honeycrisp seconds and enjoy a BurbsFoodie Apple Pie.
BurbsFoodie Apple Pie
Classic Apple Pie with a touch of Burbs
Write a review
1 hr 5 min
1 hr 5 min
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp of vinegar
- 6 Apples (peeled and sliced)
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- caramel topping (optional)
- splash of Bourbon
- Combine the flour and shortening into a bowl and mix by hand or with a pastry cutter until there are no large chunks of shortening remains.
- Add the beaten egg, cold water, and vinegar to the flour mixture and incorporate
- Separate the dough into two evenly sized portions and place into a ziplock bag
- Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough (makes for easier rolling later) and place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes
- While the dough is setting
- Peel, core, and slice your apples in thin wedges (into 16 pieces).
- In your mixing bowl, combine apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel topping and bourbon. Toss evenly until apples are completely coated. (A taste is never a bad idea)
- Dust your surface (or use wax paper as a base) and begin to roll out your dough portions into a uniform thickness, approximately 1-inch larger than the size of your pie plate.
- Carefully transfer the crust to your pie dish (using a spatula if necessary to loosen the dough) and press firmly into place.
- Fold edges into your pan evenly and trim any excess dough.
- Add Pie Filling
- Place second pie crust atop of the filling and pinch edges together creating a seal. Cut slits into the top of the crust to release steam as you cook the pie.
- Cover outer edge of the crust with Aluminum Foil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and bake approximately 30-40 minutes until apples are tender.