Bacon has been known to be the gateway drug for vegetarians; and to that I say – Hell Ya! Don’t just taste it, make your own.
Write a review
Dry Rub Ingredients
- 3 lbs Pork Belly
- 1/4 cup kosher Salt
- 2 tsp pink curing salt
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Rinse the pork belly and pat dry.
- Take dry rub mixture and coat all sides evenly.
- Transfer to a resealable plastic bag or wrap with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 7 to 10 days, flipping once per day, until the belly feels firm.
- Remove the pork belly from the bag and rinse thoroughly. Pat dry and let stand in refrigerator uncovered overnight.
- Soak applewood chips in water for 30 minutes - 1 hour
- Set up your smoker according to the manufacturers instructions and set to 205 degrees
- Smoke the pork belly for 3-4 hours, or until the bacon reaches an internal temperature of 150 degrees F.
- Remove bacon from smoker and let cool at room temperature for 4-6 hours.
- Wrap bacon in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Using a slicer, cut bacon to desired thickness and enjoy!
- Make sure that you pick a day smoke the belly and work backward to chose a day to start the curing process. If you want to smoke the meat on a Saturday, make sure you start the cure TWO Wednesday’s prior and lets stand in refrigerator one day prior to cooking.
- I usually take 8-10 slices and place them in a vacuum sealed bag in the freezer. I reserve the “end” or final 1/4” and immediately make pork belly bacon sliders.