With winter now in full force; warm up both your home and stomach with some hearty chowder!
Cauliflower & White Cheddar Chowder
Write a review
- 1 large head cauliflower (2 - 2.5 lb), cored and chopped into small, bite size pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small finely chopped yellow or white onion
- 3-4 Tbsp all-purpose flour (check consistency of your choice)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped fresh
- 12 oz shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place cauliflower on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and toss to evenly coat, then spread into an even layer and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool
- Using a blender puree soup until desired consistency is reached (shorter for chunky - longer for smooth)
- Return soup to stockpot and stir in White Cheddar cheese
- Soup can be kept on low or served warm immediately
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add in onion and sauté until tender, about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute
- Add in flour to create a roux, stirring constantly 1-2 minutes
- While whisking, slowly pour in half and half while breaking down then flour roux - you do not want the consistency to be clumpy
- Add in roasted cauliflower, thyme, salt and pepper, and chicken stock
- Bring all ingredients to a boil, stirring occasionally
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer
- Garnish with cracked black pepper, orange cheddar cheese, and croutons